Does your financial Guru or Doomster resemble a cult? To satisfy your curiosity, it might be worth taking simple test that will give you an idea whether what you thought was innocent objective altruistic financial advice and unbiased analysis is actually something more nefarious that wants to control your mind, your trades, and empty your bank account.
1. Does your Guru always make out like he’s right?
2. Does you Guru paint a picture that the other [non-disciples] are always wrong?
3. Is there any exit from the Guru’s philosophy without following the philosophy?
4. Does the Guru’s group use its own “Cult-speak”?
5. Does “group-think” dominate, suppressing dissent and enforcing conformity of thinking?
6. Is Guru’s advice irrational at times, contradicting previous or other tenets of Guru advice?
7. Does Guru’s philosophy suppress disbelief?
8. Does Guru’s philosophy denigrate competing ideas, schools of thought, and other Guru’s?
9. Does Guru make personal attacks upon critics?
10. Does Guru believe non-followers need “fixing”?
11. Does Guru insist that his interpretation is the only correct way? (more…)