1. You only have three choices when you are in a bad position, and it is not hard to figure out what to do:
(1) Get out
(2) Double up, or
(3) Spread it off.
I have always found getting out to be the best of all three choices.
- No opinion on the market or you are doubtful about market direction? Then stay out. Remember, when in doubt, stay out.
- Don’t ever let anyone know how big your wallet is, and don’t ever let anyone know how small it is either.
- If you snooze, you lose. Know your markets, when they trade, and what reports will affect the market price.
- The markets will always let you in on the losers; the market’s job is to keep you out of winners. Dump the dogs and ride the winning tide.
- Stops are not for sissies.
- Plan your trade, then trade your plan. He who fails to plan, plans to fail.
- Buy the rumor and sell the fact. Watch for volatility in these situations; it usually marks tops or bottoms in the markets.
- Buy low, sell high. Or buy it when nobody wants it, and sell it when everybody has to have it!
- It’s okay to lose your shirt, just don’t lose your pants; that is where your wallet is.
One last thought to leave with you. It applies not only to every-day life but to trading the markets as well:
Success is measured not so much by the wealth or position you have gained, but rather by the obstacles you have overcome to succeed!