The US Commerce Department said it would restrict the ability of Huawei to develop semiconductors abroad with US technology.
A late on Friday afternoon US time (into the evening) WSJ report (may be gated):
- Trump administration said it would impose export restrictions
- These are designed to cut Huawei’s access to overseas suppliers
- to stop foreign semiconductor manufacturers whose operations use US software and technology from shipping products to Huawei without first getting a license from US officials
Over the weekend China’s Commerce Dept (CNBC link) said
- it is firmly opposed
- it will take all necessary measures to safeguard Chinese firms’ rights and interests
- it urges the US to immediately stop the policy
The moves threaten to ignite a new round of US-China economic tensions.