In the spirit of April Fools Day here are the ‘Ten Most Foolish Things a Trader Can Do’. In no particular order of foolishness.
- Try to predict the future movement of a stock, and stay in it no matter what.
- Risk your entire account on one trade with no stop loss plan.
- Have a winning trade but no exit strategy to get out, no trailing stop or exhaustion top signal.
- Ask for and follow the advice of others instead of trading with your own trading plan, method, rules, and system.
- Trade your emotions instead of signals: buy when you are greedy and sell when you are afraid.
- Trade your opinions, not a quantified method.
- Do not bother to do your homework on trading, just jump in and trade, you are smart, you will figure it out.
- Short the best and most expensive stocks in the stock market and buy the cheapest junk stocks.
- Put on trades you are 100% sure are winners so you do not even need a stop loss or risk management.
- Buy more of a trade that you are losing money in and sell your winners quickly to lock in small profits.
Do not trade foolishly my friend.